The DeKalb County Literacy Fund was created by the Mother Goose on the Loose giving circle to support adult and children’s literacy opportunities in DeKalb County, Indiana.
In addition to awarding grants the Literacy Fund:
- Advocates the importance of literacy to the community; and
- Encourages community members to become involved and commit resources to address literacy needs in DeKalb County.
Membership in the Mother Goose on the Loose giving circle is open to donors who believe that the ability to read, write and communicate effectively are critical skills for success. Please contact the community foundation office to learn how to become a member.
Grants are awarded based on how a program addresses literacy needs and the ability of grantees to deliver their service in a cost-effective manner. The fund awards $4,000 in grants in September.
Nonprofit organizations that provide literacy programs are encouraged to:
- Submit a one-page letter describing your program(s) and who you serve.
- Include a specific dollar request.
- Specify that your request is for the DeKalb County Literacy Fund.
Submit your letter to the DeKalb County Community Foundation between August 1 and August 31.
Questions? Please call the community foundation office at (260) 925-0311 to discuss your ideas for a request.
2010-2011 DeKalb County Literacy Fund grants awarded
2008-2009 DeKalb County Literacy Fund grants awarded
2012 DeKalb County Literacy Fund Grants Awarded